25/07/2016

Potosi

The world highest city, known for Cerro Rico (rich mountain) and its minerals. Once again a beautiful colonial town.

We watched The Devil's Miner, a document about workers in the mine. I felt horrible after that, cruel facts about life. More than 800 kids from age 10 works inside the mine, living aspect is only 35-40 years and more than 8 miljon people have died working in Cerro Rico! 8 miljon!!  I didn't want to visit there, so I just walked around looking at churches when Rob went on a tour.

Sunday was very quiet, miners have a day off then. Still few people were working, Rob said he saw kids also. Small tunnels, full of dust and poisonous minerals. For some people it is the only choise to work there, though they now what it leads to. I read that the mountain is sinking few centimeters every year. Could it collapse some time because it is full of kilometer long tunnels?