17/06/2016

Salkantey Trek

We packed our bags with warm clothes and rented a camping gears from 'Everest' guy.. Best in town. Don't ask! We chose Salkantey because end of the trek we would be one step closer to Machu Picchu.

Sunday we took early collectivo to Mollepata, where we changed a car to take us to Soraypampa, 3800m. Already from here the views were amazing towards Salkantey. We knew the first day would be hardest but I seriously didn't think anything like that! I had so hard time to acclimatize, when we climbed up to the pass in 4600m, I had to stop every 20m to catch my breat. I thought I would faint. Others were better cause they had done The Cordilleras trek already while I was back home. We made it to the top, enjoyed the spectacular view and Fazer chocolate :) 

We camped almost at four thousand meters, which meant minus degrees, damn cold night and frozen water in the morning. It was experience what I wouldn't change for anything but not sure would I do it again.. We hiked down in the valley, stopped for a nice noodle lunch in someones backyard (we did have the ladys permission) and slept next to the river with chickens, duck, cats and dogs. In the morning we packed our bags pretty quickly to avoid being slaughtered by tiny flies, worst than midges. I had 51 bites!!

Third day was pretty hard also. We dropped down to 2000m but then climbed back up to 2800m. It was up and down the whole day, plus it was boiling hot, plus I wanted to scratch the bites so bad. Late afternoon we arrived to our campsite, just in time to see Machu Picchu on the other side of the valley before glorious sunset.

Fourth and last day we took it very easy. There was no rush to Aguas Calientes, concret village. We made one last noodle lunch and me and Stine dipped ourselves to the cooling river. The last bit of the trek was walking 11km on the train tracks. You think it would be easy and rather fast but it wasn't. I wasn't enjoying it very much at all with blisters in my heels, two toenails coming off, long pants and no shade at all plus 20kg backpack. We must be crazy!

The trek was amazing! I enjoyed the camping experience and like I have said before, I love the mountains. We got the whole trail to ourselves, plenty of food and great moments.