17/06/2016

Machu Picchu

This has been one of the things on my bucket list and now it is done :)

Rob had been before so he stayed in bed when 3.30am me, Stine and Jesper got up, ready to hike up. We lined up with hundreds of other people, ready to race to the top. I tell you, that 400m climb up to the steps isn't something what I would do every morning at 5am. But it was worth it. When we got to the top, there was hardly any people. The view was amazing! I was speechless :)

We continued our hike (like we hadn't done any walking in the past days) to Machu Picchu Mountain, 3061m. Whole mountain range in front of us and historic ruins below us. I hadn't realized how big the site actually was. There is no way you could walk around it on a day. We headed to the Sun Gate and the temples. Few million stones have been used to built this city :) I loved it!

There was no way we were going to pay 80$ each to get the train back to Cusco so we walked back to Hydro Electrica. After 11 hours of walking we finally got to Hydro Eloctrica. We were happy to pay little bit extra for private collectivo which would take us straight to Cusco. Well, deal wasn't so good after all. Our driver was maniac! These roads are not to joke about and he was driving like crazy. One wrong move and we would have been down 700m from the mountain cliff. After dark he started to show signs of sleepiness, keeping windows open (it was freezing outside), loud music and caffein. I was so scared I just wanted to get out, no matter what. We arrived to Ollantaytamba and we got out from the car. He wasn't very happy about it but we weren't ready to die. Seriously, that was the scariest ride of my life!

After 5 days of hiking, I am going to chill today and just read my book :) maybe a massage later wouldn't hurt..