04/01/2017

Finnish connections

Being such a small country (still less than 6milj.), you wouldn't think you would meet so many other fellow travellers. Especially in South-America, ten times the size of Finland and more than half a billion people.. But still, during our one year travel, now and a then Finland has popped its head out :D 

We only met five other Finnish travellers. First finn we met was Niilo in Cabo de la Vela, Colombia. And this was so funny. We talked in English for the first two hours and then when I pulled my bag out which said 'juoksija' he was like 'hitto soikoon, ootko sä suomesta?' :D

Second finn was Tiina in San Gil, Colombia. I thought I heard finnish being talked in the bus but I wasn't sure. Then the next day when we went rafting and I saw her name I was certain she must be from Finland.

In Colombia a town called Sogamosa, had an ice cream place called Jäätelö - Helado.

Bolivia we volunteered in Mikas place, whose mother was Finnish. Mika also told that in Santa Cruz there is a guy who owns a pizzeria who is from Finland. We went to see it but he wasn't there at the moment. Samaipata we met third finn who was working in Santa Cruz.

Puerto Natales in Chile had a hostel called Wild Horse whose owner was from Finland, but she wasn't there when I dropped by. And in Valparaiso we walked pass Wärtsilä office.

In Argentina close to El Chalten was a farm called Estancia Helsingfors. It was little out of our way so I don't know what the connection was. The same in the north, town called Colonia Finlandesa, was out of our route. Argentina also produced lot of cream cheese called Finlandia.

Iguazu Falls we met Finnish Anna with her mother. Later in Ilha do Mel we heard that they had just been the same restaurant as we were, only day before and also in the fortress we went to.

A man who helped us to find right metro in Rio greeted us in finnish 'Tervetuloa Rioon!' His friend worked for Nokia. Later at the Escadeira Sedaron we met two finns.

Cabo de Frio we met Lanetta who worked in diveshop. She was the same girl who had worked in the same diveshop in Colombia we went to!