23/11/2016

Uruguay

We wanted to do quick check on Uruguay and I must say I like it. Like it a lot.

From Buenos Aires it is only one hour ferry crossing to Sacramento de Colonia. Pebbled streets, colonial buildings, fortress, beach,.. Cute cellar restaurants with wine and cheese tastings, tea houses with scones and home made jams! Our hostel was also really nice and cozy. Enjoyed vegetarian chivitos at the square, doesn't leave much for it.. (Chivito is Uruguayn burger with steak, ham, bacon and sausage)

Next stop was La Paloma. Beaches for surfing and swimming. Half of the hostels, campsites and restaurants weren't even open yet. Which was a shame because I could see it being really nice village, laidback atmosphere, people carrying their surfboards, but now it was completely dead. Obviously people start coming end of December. We were too early once again. We also checked Pedrera, smaller fishing village with better surfing beaches. And the same, no single soul there.

We tried to hitchike to Valizas, no luck at all. Diabolic day. We don't talk about it.

Next day we took a bus. And yes, this place was heaven on beach :) We put our tent and hammocks, chilled for the next three days, walking on the beach, freezing our asses off (cold wind ruined our tanning options), admiring abandon houses (every other house had a 'rent' sign), running along 30m high sand dunes and playing with puppies. Lucky Valizas had dog with three puppies and one kitten. I don't know what am I going to do when we are back and there won't be street dogs greeting you and making your day.

It was a good week, even I couldn't lie on the beach the whole time. When we took the bus back to Montevideo we saw first Christmas decorations. It is end of November!! 48 days to go, this trip is going to end soon..