We were so lucky with our hitchiking! We left Calafate at 7am, walked through the town to police checkpoint and put our sign up. Ruta 3.
Many cars passed us but they were all going to El Chalten. Just after one hour waiting this pick up stopped, he was going all the way to Rio Gallegos. 400km went super fast, two and half hours. He left us for another checkpoint and we only had time to put our bags down when car pulled over. He was going Caleta Olivia!! We couldn't believe our luck :) 700km with Federico was super fun and crazy. At one point I was thinking that we are driving pretty fast. I leaned forward to see how fast we were actually going, 180km/h!! It was super straight road and not so many other cars, so I think it was okey. By the end of the day we had shared stories and drank plenty of mate :D Federico was continuing to Trelew (another 500km up north) the next day and promised to take us with him. We spent very comfortable night in the hotel and carried on with him on Sunday.
We made a detour to Punta Tombo to see the biggest colony of Magellanas penguins. I was one big smile! How cute are they with their tuxedo? and wobbly walk :D There was thousands of nests with egg or two. Penguins were just walking on the road, lying on the beach and from the cliff you could see them swimming. Amazing! When we got closer to Trelew he asked if we want to stay at his place. We said yes, bought some wine and made curry. I would say absolutely wonderful experience and superb day :)



