26/08/2016

Uspallata-Penitentes

We left Mendoza, though it was really nice city, but it started to be too expensive. Why is it that always in the cities you end up spending more money? I think Mendoza was one of the nicest big cities we have been :) Next destination SKIING!!

Season ends this Sunday so we just made it. Few hours out of Mendoza, close to Chile is a ski resort called Penitentes. For us it was too expensive to stay in the resort so we stayed town called Uspallata an hour away. If you have seen movie Seven years in Tibet, you have seen the surroundings.

First day we took bus to Puente de Inca, ancient natural bridge above the river. Used to have some thernal baths also before landslide destroyed it 1965. Hiked up Aconcagua mirador to see the highest mountain of Southern hemisphere (second highest after himalayas). It was so great to be in the snow! I know it is winter here but for me it is summer, and playing in the snow and skiing in the summer, crazy!! :) I made a snowman top of the hill! Snow was still really deep, more than a meter, but really wet in the afternoon sun.

Second day my dream came true! I have been skiing/snowboarding since I remember (happy 25th anniversary this year), but always in Scandinavia. We had family tradition to take week 16 off, and go skiing to Lapland, northern Finland (or Sweden). So when I realized I will be close to slopes that are 7km long, surrounded by mountains I really wanted to go. And the day was perfect!! Probably one of the best days on this trip :) there was hardly any people, I got the slopes all to myself, sun was shining, +10°C and no wind. Just perfect. Reminded me of all our skiing holiday. Thank you mum and dad taking us to ski every year <3 plus their card machine wasn't working and I only had peso worth of 15$ so I got the ticket very cheap!!