28/02/2016

Northernmost point of South-America

You can pay loads and take organized tour or organize it yourself. We did the second one. And it was very easy. Collectivo picked us Friday morning at seven and we arrived to Uribia at nine. It was so funny when we got out of the car, ten people ran towards us offering rides to Cabo de la Vela. We picked one and ended up waiting like an hour it to be full. Another funny thing was when one more gringo entered the truck.. Taidat olla Suomesta? And so we met the first Finnish traveller :)

Ride was very interesting. Back of the truck, along the straightest dusty road I have ever seen. On its own way it was so beautiful. Dry desert, cactus and very basic mud houses. La Guarija is very poor area with no running water at all, but still we saw village after village, kids playing and asking for treats. Few years ago in was not even known that you can enter this area, but now the goverment is building a new road there so it will be totally different in 10 years time. When we arrived to Cabo, so many places were closed or shut down. Colombian holiday season ended few weeks ago and you could see it. Few local indeginous people, Wayuu, were selling bright color bags and bracelets. Our driver gave us a ride for Agua ge Ojo (beach), pilon de azocar (100m hill) and el Faro (light house) where we watched our first proper sunset. With a little bit more people and places open this place would have been superb!

Punta Gallinas, northernmost point of South-America, CHECK! From Cabo we continued our way even deeper for the desert. Passing by salt flats, plain sand fields and probably miljons of cactuses. We weren't given an option which one of the two hospedajes we would stay. Our lancha driver made that decision for us.. We got a tour around the area with really really old car which I was afraid would leave us somewhere middle of the desert. The best place was Playa Taroa, amazing dunes! After sliding down the hill, it was nice to take a dip in the cool water.
Later on we got private tour to see pink flamingos with our new Belgium friends. It was so nice!! After two minutes we saw a huge caiman just chilling on the beach! So basicly cross the bay where we entered the boat. Not swimming from that shore again! And then we saw them!! Pink flamingos, CHECK! Jeiii :D I was so happy with our tour, I have never seen flamingos in their real living space. Such a beautiful bird. I learnt that the older the bird, the darker the color gets. There were few really dark red ones and few new borns. 

I wish I could say our hospedaje was nice but I can't. To see the view you had to walk end of the rancho, hammocks where we slept were really greasy and dusty. Meals were on certain times and you weren't given any other option. But Punta Gallinas and the place in total was worth of all that travel up north. On our way back today, I was real grumpy. So typical that OUR car was the one to broke down. So our group was split up. And of course it was US who were put on the car going back to Cabo, not Uribia where we had paid our ticket. I was ready to curse our luck and driver, but later on when the driver apologized and bought us ice cold drinks, I was happy again :) 

We still have one place on the Caribbean Coast to be checked, Parque Tayrona. We head there tomorrow, hopefully meet up with the belgiums and probably some diving! One last beach to chill before heading to the colder areas.


Chinchorros








I Am flying, Playa Taroa


View from Pilon de Azocar


It hasn't rained here in 3 years!!

Northernmost point, Punta Gallinas

Child of the desert



This lovely caiman was just 20m from our pier