20/05/2016

Getting a new passport

Is not easy! So what ever you do, do not loose your passport while travelling! I tell you, it will be endless waiting and cueing, mental breakdowns and tiers, talking to zillion different people and having tons of different papers to fill.

My passport was stolen Thursday night, we reported the police immediately and it took till Sunday that we actually got the report. By this time tens of emails and calls had been made to find out where can I get a new passport as there is no Finnish Embassy in Ecuador. I was told that Spanish Embassy would help me.

Wednesday I started to be really frustrated when nothing was in progress in the Spanish Embassy. We had lined and lined to see if we can see somebody but no. Rob called to the British Embassy (which first had said they only help if you have UK passport) and immeduately it started happening. We got meeting time and everything went well and Thursday I got my Emergency passport!! Juhuuu!!! :)

I am not lying when I say that we went for different offices at least 22 times, sent 56 emails and made more than 30 calls. Thank God for Skype!! I made one call with my phone and burnt 52e in 3 minutes.. I think I have got some grey hairs and definitely some extra heartbeats in the last days. Wednesdays two earthquakes didn't help at all! We were at Embassy building, 14th floor when the second one hit. Damn it was so scary to be so high when the whole building was shaking! We got evacuated from the building and we thought that was it, my legs were so shaky running down the steps from 14th floor. Thank good nothing bad happened, Quito didn't suffer any damage.

Now we are in Mancora, Peru. Border crossing went smoothly and I am happy to be out from Ecuador :)