22/05/2016

Downsides of travelling

15 hour busride from Quito to Mancora was enough for one day. We rested and chilled for two days on the beach. Then it was time to take one more bus to Lima, 17 hours.

Ten different bus companies, different times, different prices,.. How do you know which one is the good one? They all show you a picture of a brand new bus, promise wifi, A/C, toilet, TV,.. Reality was different for us. The bus we got on (an hour later than it was suppose to departure), yes it had been like in the picture, 20 years ago! When I asked about a/c they told me to open the window. Yes, there was a TV from the 70s, was it working? No. Toilet.. I am not going to tell you how disgusting it was. At least we got those semi-cama seats what we had paid for. For the first few hours.. At midnight the bus stopped (just after I had woken up for a cockroach crawling top of me) and driver asks us to take our stuff and change a bus. So typical. We are not given any choise than to take our bags and change even shittier bus with normal seats, 11 hours to go. YES! (That 11 actually turned out to be 15)

I do love travelling, seriously. I love bus rides and exploring new places and meeting people. But what I can't stand is peoples dishonesty and when locals just lie against your face to get your money. After the robbery I have lost the trust for the locals and I have been more scared. Which is not good, cos I can't enjoy full hearted when I am constantly thinking is he lying to me, are they telling the truth? I want to believe good from people and I don't want to guard my back every second. But when bad things happen and nothing is like they promise, what else can you do than be scared and sceptical?

There are so much positive sides while travelling, but now recent days I think we have only met mean people, lying travel agencies and dirty places. I want to go home!