16/03/2016

San Gil





Juan Cari Waterfall



El Camino Real


Fossils






I made it explode!!



Towns only get better and better, I am definitely a small town girl :) I don't need big cities and crouded hostels. Only the outdoor stuff - bungee jump, rafting, paragliding, trekking, waterfalls, abseiling, kayaking, parks and mountains.

Night bus from Mompox(12h) was very comfortable (but cold), haizy sunrise at Chicamocha Canyon was awesome, those red cliffs! After walking along the streets in San Gil, up and down, turn after turn I had a very funny feeling. I wasn't sure am I in Colombia or San Francisco (steep hills and wynding streets) or Nepal (red roof tops plus mountains)? I was smiling for myself, it felt so surreal. I liked tge town immediately, lots of sports options or just relaxing in our hostel jacuzzi :)

We did some heavy rafting. Our boat was the professional one, of course when there were two Finnish vikings! Yes, we met another Finnish traveller :) Nobody fell over or the boat didn't flip. We actually rescued one of the other groups safety kayaker. He got stuck between two rocks and water was just floawing over him. It looked really scary, and we could see that our guide and the guy under the water were really scared. We picked him for our boat and had a rest on shore. Rafting wasn't as hardcore as in Uganda but still very nice daytrip. Evening was the best, we went to Gringo's Mike. The best blackbean-pesto-bluecheese burger! Hallelujah :D Chocolate brownie with ice-cream for dessert, not bad at all. Now back to the local food.

Monday Rob went mountain biking and I went town hopping. So nice little towns, fossil rocks, El Camino Real paths, old man bearded trees, colorful birds, friendly people,.. Oh the list goes on and on :) I took bus to Barichara and from there walked to another small village, Guane. I love these small stone paved streets with beautiful houses and bright red roofs. Tuesday was gringos Tejo night! Colombian game, kind of like our petanki/bull, but this one involves gunpowder and explosions.. Yes, I know, crazy! I was the only one who hit the gunpowder and made explosion! And Rob hit the bulls eye, so we won!! :D 

San Gil has so much to offer if you have the time and the money. I am happy for our rafting experience, Juan Curi waterfall and pool was great also even though there wasn't much of water, Rob enjoyed his biking and El Gallineral Natural Parque was amazing! And yes, hot shower! This is our 5th week of traveling and Macondo Hostel was the first place to offer a hot shower, not just air warm tank water :) You don't need hot water here cos it is so hot anyway, but surely you appreciate one when you get one!